This is the season for mulled wine as you stroll around stalls lined with local produce, tasty treats, and perfect presents. But how about doing it all somewhere with blue skies lined with palm trees, not a cloud in sight but a slight nip in the air, just so that you know Christmas is coming?
The Algarve is the place for all of it, with markets dotted across the region sure to cater to your every festive desire. So, make sure your Christmas stay at LUX MARE is festive in all the right ways when you check out each of the local Christmas markets.
Spending Christmas in the Algarve?
Deserted beaches, gorgeous nature walks, and whitewashed towns nestled in the “real Algarve” hills. That’s what awaits winter visitors to the region, who delight in the peace of low season in Southern Portugal to explore at a much more leisurely pace than the hustle and bustle of summer permits. However, those visiting in December will find that Christmas in the region provides an entirely different hum of excitement.
From twinkling lights in all the towns to nativity scenes acted out by real actors, appearances by Father Christmas and markets with all the season’s specials, Christmas in the Algarve will surely be memorable. And we haven’t even touched on how picture-perfect a fully catered Christmas at LUX MARE could be. A hand-picked chef serving everything from your traditional turkey to freshly caught seafood in a blend of traditions so delicious there’ll be no leftovers for Boxing Day. The sun twinkling off the Atlantic as you dig into your meal, the sun overhead as you plan your mid-Christmas dip in the heated pool. Or how about watching a classic Christmas film in your very own private cinema room?
But let’s get back to talking about the Algarve’s Christmas markets…
Christmas Markets in the Algarve
From east to west, the Algarve is dotted with Christmas markets. With each becoming more festive than the last, they’re sure to get you into the spirit of the season, providing so much more than stalls and twinkling lights. Check out the most notable ones:
- Just down the road from LUX MARE, Lagos Christmas Village provides concerts, workshops, storytelling sessions, Santa’s Grotto, a craft market, an ice rink, an animated nativity scene, Christmas lights and lots of fun for all ages.
- Not far away is Portimão Christmas Market, which is in the running for “best in the country”, featuring 50 shows and themed parades throughout December and into January.
- Carvoeiro Christmas market, held on the square practically on the beach, where Christmas meets seaside, can be accessed via a fun tourist train and will have a packed events programme including archery, dancing, painting, circus skills, and even a cotton candy workshop.
- For something a bit different, the Vila Vita Biergarten Christmas market in Porches provides the experience of a traditional German Christmas market, complete with German food, beer, and stalls.
- Further inland is the Monchique Christmas market. In a land known for its local spirit, medronho, make sure you sample the delicacy as you wander around the market browsing traditional crafts and regional foods.
- Towards the eastern Algarve, you’ll find several more markets, including Loulé Christmas Market, which is spread around the old town, drawing visitors into its rides, stalls, and fun events.
Last but certainly not least, further towards the beach, two of the Algarve’s most prestigious luxury resorts also host their own Christmas markets, promising a pleasant day of Christmas shopping at both Quinta do Lago and Vale do Lobo.
Whether you pop down to one market or tour them all, any of the Algarve’s Christmas markets will surely get you in the holiday spirit, ensuring the holiday season spent in the region is more festive than ever. So, now that you know everything available to see and do, all that’s left is for you to book your stay!